Introduce yourself!

yes gt it on steam already so i can buy it :wink: more equipment means more clothings hopefully ? what do you mean by parties ? the game needs like “garden grass” as a ground floor btw and garden plants and plantable trees that dont get chopped off as decorations :slight_smile: oh and what about the water … have you evver thought of fishing as a job ? they need more jobs anyway right ?

Check it out if you want to see some brand new screenshots of Alpha 8: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104330/Founders_Fortune/

(Also, wishlist it! :smiley: )
You’ll see more about parties once the new trailer is out and you can find some thread(s) about fishing on the forum :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

Although I’m not great at the online small talk, here goes:
In the real world, I go by Kim. That or my screenname will work.

I found this game through the Katherine of Sky’s youtube channel. It looked like a fun, not hectic game. So far (about 10 hours or so in), it has proven to be very enjoyable and very addicting. Time flies while playing!

I’ll do my best to post things I notice while playing, so that it might improve the experience for everyone.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Socks! :socks:

• How did you find out about Founders’ Fortune?

I was hoping to find a new base building game and when I opened up the store page on Steam, Founders’ Fortune was sitting right there on the front page. It was love at first sight, an immediate purchase.

• Have you played other colony simulators before? Base building games? What do you like about them?

I have been obsessed with base building/colony simulator games ever since I was a kid playing The Sims on my PS2. I can’t even imagine how many hours I put into building maps in Forge when I played Halo 3, and Reach. Years of my life are hazy memories of building in Minecraft with my best friend. When Fallout 4 came out I spent more time building settlements than exploring the wasteland. Lately, I’ve been having a ton of fun with My Time at Portia, and Kenshi. Though I predict those two games are going to fall by the wayside to Founders’ Fortune.

My favorite part of base building is making things that are beautiful. In fact, my biggest gripe about Fallout 4 and Kenshi is that it’s set in ugly post-apocalypse. No matter how hard I work on my base building in those games, it all still looks like rusted over garbage glued together! :sob: If you want to see post-apocalypse done right, look at My Time at Portia. It’s post-apocalyptic as well, but enough time has passed since the apocalypse that everything is green and bright and whatnot. Of course, the game limits you to building with a handful of items in a tiny little plot so it wasn’t really satisfying the building cravings for me. Bottom line is I want a healthy, alive world to build in and Founders’ Fortune brings that to the table, I’m so excited!

• What’s your favorite other game? Why?

This one feels a bit hard to answer. My favorite game has changed over time just like with my favorite food and music. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I had to give a response, I think I would say Fallout 4. Specifically Heavily Modded Fallout 4. The game may not be very pretty to look at (mods can help with that somewhat), But the combination of combat, base building, and modding is what keeps bringing me back to FO4 a few times a year for 100+ hour campaigns.

My best friend always makes fun of my modding obsession because he’s sat in Discord with me multiple times when I would spend 50-100 hours modding Skyrim. The reason he would make fun of me is that I am obsessed with modding Skyrim, but not playing Skyrim. I usually spend that 50-100 hours modding to create my ideal Skyrim, I then play the game for 10-20 hours to get a feel for how all the mods work together, and admire how pretty the game can look. At this point, I feel satisfied with my “playthrough” and put the game down for a few months. Just to come back, uninstall all the mods, and repeat the process.

• What’s your opinion on Indie games vs big budget blockbusters?

I think the Triple-A video game industry grabs wonderful, passionate, and creative developers. It then proceeds to crush those qualities out of them to mold them into a cog wheel for the money machine. This is a generalized statement that is absolutely false in some cases. But those cases are the exception, not the rule. Big game titles tend to be products, rather than art.

Indie games, while they are limited in technical scope by team size and budget, bring back art to video games. They’re filled with life and creativity. They want to push the envelope and remind us why we fell in love with games in the first place. As a side-note, this is also why I love modding. Modders are not in it for the money, they are not cogs in the machine. They work tirelessly to bring life and creativity to the games they are passionate about. So many games stand steady and strong on the backs of their modding community.

Well that was a rather long winded introduction. :laughing: I wasn’t planning on making a response this huge, I guess I got caught in my memories. Anyway, I’m super excited to be joining this community and I’m looking forward to the memories and experiences we’ll create together!

2 Likes

Whoa @Socks that’s quite the wall of text :smiley:
I had no idea My time at portia was post-apocalyptic :open_mouth:
Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m happy to be here!

1 Like

Hello, I live in Cuba, so we have many limitations and we always have to get the games online that provide them for free, I am sorry I can not contribute with you from Steam but I have always liked the City Building games, such as those of the saga of Sierra: Pharaoh, Cesar, Zeus lord of Olympus these more retro and I am currently entertaining with Two Point Hospital, The Universim, Life is feudal, Tropico, and now that I discovered Founders Fortune is my new challenge, the idea they are developing I love it, although they still have a long way to go, I have just started to play it and there are things that I miss, the more realistic the game is, the better I think, I consider that in addition to food the villagers might need water, and that they could hunt animals and tame them also, that it would be another source of food, for the entertainment they could interact more with the objects of the house and introduce some hobbies like painting, playing some instrument What I like the most is that it is in Spanish, which is my native language, I don’t know if it helps them, but I trust that in the end they will achieve something good because I see that they are on the right track, greetings from Cuba.

Greetings!

I’m a huge fan of city builders and not so much a fan of survival games but this game seems to have hit that perfect balance where I feel like I have some chance. I’m going to admit something, I pirated this game to see if I wanted to spend money on it. Well, after playing and noticing it was suddenly 6 in the morning, I went ahead and bought it without even waiting for a sale! I am completely hooked. I’m at 80 hours in and can’t get enough!

I came across a post on reddit mentioning this game.

• Have you played other colony simulators before? Base building games? What do you like about them?
    I am a creative type and city builders are the perfect outlet for my creativity. I love taking care of my peeps and seeing they live well.

The one game that currently holds the largest number of hours played is Transport Fever at almost 2000 hours! I am a huge train nerd and TpF hits every one of my likes and desires. One of the big reasons I like it is due to it’s modability. Nothing gives a game more longevity than a healthy modding community. Foster that and this game will go far.

AAA game devs and publishers have gotten complacent. They rarely innovate (meh, I hate that word) and bank on what has worked before. Also, this push into MTX and monetizing every aspect of a game is really off-putting.
    Indies have always been my favorites. They are flexible and much more responsive to the community making for a much better product in the end. I had the fortunate opportunity to join the indie developer Squad, the developers of Kerbal Space Program. I was their Community Manager early on and saw the fan base grow from 5k to 50k during my time there. It was an amazing experience and it taught me just how important the modding community can be to the success of a game. Support your modders and give them access to as much of the internals as possible and there will be no limit to the things they will create.

Anyway, I am here for the long term and hope this game will see the same kind of breakout success that KSP did. Since reddit is my online home, you’ll find me on the FF subreddit there. I’ll be doing my best to help new players and spread the word of this amazing game!

Cheers!
Capt’n Skunky

4 Likes

KSP is such a great game! Welcome @SkunkMonkey!

Thanks for the nice words. We’re planning to dip our feet into modding sooner or later (About Modding in Founders’ Fortune).

The subreddit is not very active at the moment, but I make sure to check in from time to time.

1 Like
    I watched a play through series on youtube by Geekism. And that got me hooked.

I have played a few. Always liked the idea, but just never really found a game that really hit the right balance. Until now. This game is great and looking forward to what it could become.

I play a lot of everything. I really do. Very hard to choose a favorite.

I’ve played more big budget games than Indie ones, but the last couple of indies games I have got into, have turned out to be really great. This game and Farm together a very good examples of what can make an Indie game much better than a AAA title. You can tell they are maid by people who want to make the game and make it great for the player.

2 Likes

Hello i am UNG but goes as UNG_God on some place because i was beat to get it. I am just a normal gamer , i have an insignificant channel that focus mostly on modded minecraft and some other building or management games, so i try to avoid action games . I started the channel to hold the videos of WoE (war of emperium ) of my clan on ragnarok online BR

How did you find out about Founders’ Fortune?

Saw a channel playing the game , and it got me intrigued.

Have you played other colony simulators before? Base building games? What do you like about them?

Yes , like Towns , factorytown , evospace , in some degree populous , minecraft , what i most like about those game is the challenge is most bout logic , adaptation and improvement.

What’s your favorite other game? Why?

aside those quoted above, i mostly play rpg games and some mmos , last two that are quite fresh on my memory is tree of savior and wakfu , but it is mostly because i played with friends.

What’s your opinion on Indie games vs big budget blockbusters?

I am afraid that i am too far from the game media , last console i played was the ps2 , and on the last years i just played mmos and minecraft , my opinion is most about being an observer , indies lack resources but compensate with passion , while the common media has resource but lack passion , it would be god if we found a common ground, but that is impossible , the game environment is in a position that suck thing cant happens, having witness the grow of the games over time , i miss the time where the graphics were in a stage where there was not much difference between games, so they had to make the story, gameplay interesting as a sells part , while in today , all i can see is the fight for the most realistic look while gameplay and story is second place, or third as multiplayer has taken over .

2 Likes
  1. Twitch, I forget his name atm, I’m a big fan of The Sims and he switch games to Founders Fortune.
    so I started watching him and thought the game was pretty cool and jump over to youtube and watch more of it, her name was Katherine of sky. love what I saw went to steam and got it for $18. Now I have trouble sleeping… :frowning:

2. yes! Banished, loved that game. I wanted more after. And Godus, we all know what happen there.

3. The Sims 1-4, Don’t Starve/Oxygen Not Included, Farm Together, and looking like Founders Fortune is now apart of my faves…

4. I feel the Indie Devs are more closer to the fans and hear them out on what they wanted in their games. it’s what Maxis Devs (The Sims) and Klei are doing. but for real. I don’t care who makes my games, Looks fun. I gonna buy it… if I fall in love with the game, then I support them.

2 Likes

Welcome @Nixamismaximus @UNG_God and @LadyDarkSorrow, glad to have you on board :smiley:

Hi! My name’s Bailey :blush:
Little, quick things about me: I live in a small Minnesotan town, I recently turned twenty, I work way too much at Dominos pizza and this game has been a great distraction from that! :smile:
Alright, now the questions…

How did you find out about Founders’ Fortune?
Just came Across it when game browsing on Steam, fit all the criteria’s for an enjoyable gaming session, but now I can’t seem to stop playing :laughing:

Have you played other colony simulators before? Base building games? What do you like about them?
Oh yes of course, Banished (which seems to be a popular forerunner for others here as well) which I really liked for it’s medieval vibe and being able to have a different experience (or death of my entire civilization) each time I started a new game, and other common one’s like Cities Skylines, Age of Empires, My Time at Portia… All have taken up a decent portion of my time, AOE especially for requiring both strategic moves and large-scale base building.

What’s your favorite other game? Why?
I do really love The Sims deep within my core and soul, it’s a game I will never stop coming back to for it’s (overpriced) expansion packs and it’s (painfully unrealistic) way of controlling virtual people’s lives. Jokes aside I’ve been playing it since I was a young boy from the beginning and watching it age and getting to see it’s progression year after year, as well as playing it… Just makes me feel good, every time I play. I’m sorry, I love Founder’s Fortune a lot, but The Sims will always be my number one :laughing:

What’s your opinion on Indie games vs big budget blockbusters?
And here’s why The Sims is becoming a problem for me… Maxis (EA) and many other large game developers will never have the amount of care and personability that most Indie game developers do. I mean it is considerably harder because they do have such large fan bases, being able to respond and implement each and every persons requests is nearly impossible (and exceedingly expensive). Which is why I always have such high respect for smaller companies creating just as great games w/o forgetting the people who helped get them to where they are.
No player, no game

Alright, thanks for reading :blush:
Seeya

Hi Bailey, glad you’ve been enjoying your time :smiley:

Dropped in to say hello - gudday

Been gaming for over 40 years as an adult, so its something thats always been around for me.

Found FF at Steam while searching for a game that included building and was interesting. What initially grabbed my attention was the bright colourful and original game coming from a unique perspective with a great playability potential.

Been a huge fan of Pharaoh/Cleopatra (Sierra) for nearly 20 years and still currently playing it. Came out with great Mod-ability and a large range of original scenarios with 5 playing levels. Still has an active community going.
Played a lot of Starcraft I & II, Sims, AOE, Anno, Civ I, II, III, plus a number of small studio games. Dink Smallwood came out with great modding and was an early indie type with some success.

For me, the BB Blockbusters are just like Hollywood - they work to a script type thats predictable with little creative imagination, plus a tendency to copy things that work for small successful developers.

Too a long and successful future :smiley:

1 Like

Hello

My name is Piko.
I am from Croatia and I live in Germany

I discovered your game on Steam and I’m thrilled.
I started gaming when I was 6. At that time I got a Commodore 64 from my father (1986).
My favorite game is Populous from 1989 (I love Molyneux).
And think your game is as chilled and fun to play as Populous was / is.
That’s why I decided to buy the Gold Support.
Keep it up guys

Greeting Piko

2 Likes

Hi to everyone

I downloaded the game on a whim recently and am impressed with it so far.
I would describe it as “Rim World meets Stardew Valley” :smile:
I just started a new game with the latest update. The changes are a step in the right direction in my humble opinion.

I haven’t looked at the wishlist items on this forum yet but would like to add mine:
Wild animals and hunters to hunt them
Larger map (perhaps other islands with boats to get to them)
Other encounter groups (vikings perhaps since the game plays on an island)
The ability to prioritize actions (placing more weight on cotton harvesting rather than unchecking the other actions to force them to harvest cotton) - (yes, similar to rimworld :wink: )

There are others but I’ll stop there. I don’t want to sound whiny…
Keep up the great work you’ve started here. As a fellow dev I appreciate all of the work you’ve done behind the scene to make this a smooth and entertaining game experience.

2 Likes

Hi Piko

I was surprised by your comment and thought to reply.
I was an Atari owner in the 80’s and I agree that Populous was a great game (and probably the first great sim). This game does have a similar feel and appeal.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and off course new to the game :slight_smile: I am 36 years old and have gamed for many years now lol. And I am from the Netherlands.

I find out about Founders’ Fortune on Steam. Right now I have just 10 hours of play time under my belt. And that is enough to say that I love this game and I will put in many more hours!

I have played many more base building games. For instance Rimworld, that game alone I have played 255 hours. And probably more coming in the years. Next to Rimworld my most played games on Steam are Crusader Kings II (553 hours) and Mount and Blade Warband (477 hours). I love base building and also RPG’s and tactical games. Shooters for example not so much, allthough I do love Mass Effect for example (more the RPG/story side of it).

As for Indie vs blockbusters I don’t really prefer one to the other. I think my most loved games speaks for that: Founders Fortune and Rimworld for example vs Crusader Kings and Mass Effect.

I will probably visit to Forum from time to time, for now I will play same more Founders Fortune :smiley:

Cheers!

Mark.

2 Likes