Charlotte's Questions and Weird Issues

Aw thank you @JordanPANDA
So glad you like it - and stopped by to let me know!
I do intend to make more! :smiley:

1 Like

New question!
I’ve tried making a candelabra with five candles… But I’m not sure if there’s a way to make five small flames…? I know there are some fire prefabs, but they seem a bit over the top for what I want and I can also only use one at a time. And I can only use one light, from what I can tell.

I guess I could just make little mesh flames and only add light at night, but it would be neater if I could make the flames disappear when the light is out.

I can’t recall seeing anything like the seasonal material change for day/night, though. (And I still haven’t gotten that one to work, anyhow.) Any tips or ideas?

Even if you have 5 candles, you should only use one light for performance reasons.
The EffectsModule can turn things on and off at night, but there is no module to activate / deactivate objects. This is not hard to do with scripting for people who know the system (like @Loikas or @Witchy), but it does need scripting.

I won’t mind helping you with scripting related issues

2 Likes

@Daniel yep I figure both lights and those particle (fire) prefabs take a toll on performance. I think I’m leaning towards just making flames but having the light come on at night. Or maybe I’ll just cover the whole thing in cobwebs and make them always be unlit :stuck_out_tongue:

@Loikas thanks for the offer. I don’t think I’m ready to try to wrap my head around scripting yet but it’s good to know there’s someone I can reach out to, if I ever get to that point! :slight_smile:

I was hoping to have a Halloween themed bundle out for October. It’s going so-so - it might not be done until after Halloween, unfortunately. But I do hope to have it finished relatively soon, assuming I can sort out any issues… For now I have two oddities, I hope someone can explain.

One (less important) is that items marked as “onlyInRoom”: true, still are buildable out on the lawn. I’m not sure if that’s only because I’m in debug mode or something? I’m pretty sure it means you should only be able to place it within four walls? Or do I just remember this wrong? (EDIT: Forget I asked, yes it’s the debug mode!)

The weirder issue is that they never stop building the bed I made. I just copy pasted the code of the simpleBed already in the game. They build it… and keep hammering away until I tell them to do something else. Other than that it all seems to work fine (except they’re still sleeping under the mattress… working on that! :stuck_out_tongue: ) - So does anyone know what’s gone wrong when they don’t want to stop working on something?

Edit2: OK, I’m confused about why they seem to sleep under the bed, too. I thought the “positionControl” bit would tell them the height at which they should sleep, but changing that doesn’t seem to change a thing. And putting my bed and the vanilla one side by side, they’re exactly the same height. Yet they sleep above/on the vanilla bed and under or inside mine… :thinking:

building bed forever: check the debug log, also Player.log next to the save games for messages

Laying below bed: I think there is something like interactionPosition that could also be responsible. Don’t remember fully. Compare all the settings with the in-game bed.

Well I have been doing some changes and playing the game and found some new issues… Once I named part of the bed mesh “bed” the positionControl worked so they now sleep where they should and they don’t build on the bed forever. On the other hand it seems the snow I added to some items appear when winter comes and then…doesn’t disappear again in spring… :flushed:

Oh and I can’t make the bed change appearance based on whether it’s taken or not. Or that is, I can if I use the in game materials, but not of I add my own. Just like the sunflowers. :frowning:

Anyway, I’ll look into it more closely at some point. Currently taking a wee bit of a break from making FF items :slight_smile:

When I was playing the game with my own building parts mod, I discovered some issues that I have now fixed. The fix is uploaded to my web site and I will update it on Nexus Mods too in a minute. So the previously posted link to the zip file (in this thread) is now to the updated mod. :slight_smile: