Charlotte's Questions and Weird Issues

Hm, not sure what went wrong, but if your wallName is “wall”, it’ll look for “wall0” and “wall1” and tell you which exact model it wasn’t able to find.

Make sure to read the error message very carefully and make sure you’ve got useNumberRepetition turned on again.

Well, the odd thing is it’s not asking for either number now, it says it can’t find the model with the exact name used. (Unlike before when it kept wanting the model # I didn’t have since I hadn’t realised there had to be two versions of each model.)

So, I basically have wall0, wall0Door, wall0Window, wall1, wall1Door and wall1Window.
The localization and furniture files refer to “wall”* and useNumberRepetion is set to true.
And the error message says it cannot find Resources/Construction/wall

(*it’s actual name is longer than just wall)

haha, we need to be very careful when talking about settings. I don’t always double check the spelling, but it needs to be perfect. Make sure the spelling is usesNumberRepetition instead of useNumberRepetition.

Since the graphics update you shouldn’t need separate files for doors and windows anymore.

1 Like

The game can “remove” the needed bits of wall by itself? Now you tell me! :stuck_out_tongue: And the s in uses was indeed missing. I was certain I had it copied and pasted from the example file but I guess I must have got rid of that s when I was trying out the Symmetry version…

Haven’t tested it in game yet but hopefully that’ll solve it.

Another question related to walls (and doors):
I made a couple of wide doorways (2 meters/wall pieces wide). They work, but the “preview” before actually placing them only shows one part of the walls as a door. Just wondering if there’s a way to tell it to show both bits of walls as doorway even before the item is placed?

If the fortification gates do it, it’s possible, otherwise not.

I did consider that. But the gates are closed so it’s hard to tell… Just checked though and no, they don’t - they too only show one part open. But I can live with that. :slight_smile:

New question, though! Is there a way to make stairs that appear in the stairs category? Your tutorial lists the buildPanelSections available but it doesn’t list walls or floors, which are also available. I’ve mentioned this before, and tried “stairs” but it didn’t work. But I’m kind of hoping I’m just using the wrong capitalization or something :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: Well, I obviously did something wrong because I just tried again and it worked. :woman_shrugging:

And also, since I made a ladder - can I make the characters always face the ladder when walking up/down it? I did try, but I obviously got it wrong… Can’t even remember what it was I tried using. InteractionOffset maybe? :thinking:

in the stairs module, use upperEnd and lower end to define the entry points and waypoints to define the path the person takes while going from one end to the other. These coordinates are offset from the object’s origin.

The character will face the next waypoint and rotate smoothly to look at it.
With ladders it might be tricky, but as long as the next waypoint is in front of it, it could work as intended.

I did use the waypoints and it works, it’s just that they face forwards like when walking down stairs. (And if I managed to turn them around walking down, it sounds like they’d start climbing the ladder backwards… and if so, I think I prefer them descending awkwardly :stuck_out_tongue: )

yeah, that makes sense :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been taking a few days off from working on these things, but now it’s time for another question (or two).

I’ve been looking at fences and the like, and while things are working, I’d just like to know what the following is/does:

fencePostPriority: 30,
fencePostName: fenceWoodSimplePost,

I think the name has to do with the seasonal stuff, which I am ignoring for mine, but I’d like to be certain it doesn’t have some other significance. And the priority? I’m not sure at all…

:slight_smile:

EDIT: One more question:
I’m getting a weird shadow on my fence/balustrade… I’m not sure what causes it (bad texturemapping?) but it doesn’t look very good. Any tips?

1 Like

Basically fences consist of the fence “wall”-model. This works like a normal wall and is just dragged and built like normal. Fence posts are additional models that spawn between those. If you check out the fences in game, at each corner of the grid you will see a post.

Since multiple different fences can end in the same grid corner, the game needs to know which fence post it should spawn. It prefers the post with the highest priority (typically the one that also has the larger model).

The shadow you see is from the wall itself. Wall shadows are decouples from wall models since we want to show wall shadows even if the wall has been made invisible. First, make sure the game recongnizes your fence as a fence and not as wall so it applies a smaller shadow box. Second, try making your fence taller so it’s upper polygons are above the shadow box.

I figured that thing about fence posts out yesterday - after I already built all my fences without posts :woman_facepalming:

I’ll just keep them like that, though. And by making sure they’re recognised as fences I assume you mean the “isFence: true” bit as that’s all I can see that could make such a difference? I have that on all of them, so I guess I need to make them a bit taller. (I wanted them slightly lower than windows, originally…)

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I am done with my first bundle of things for Founder’s Fortune, but before I get all over exited and run off to upload it to Nexus Mods, I figured I should make it available here and see if anyone might want to check it out and let me know if they find any issues.

I was also considering having a thread specifically for any mod bundles I make but it seems you can’t edit a post after a certain amount of time, so updating such a list would be impossible… :confused:

Anyway, here’s my zipped mod and some screenshots:
Building Parts by ChA

In spite of it mostly being Daniel who posts here, I do hope to hear from anyone who checks out the bundle. :smiley:

1 Like

Great work, congrats!
I especially love the fence in the first picture, the double-width stairs and the ladder.

In spite of it mostly being Daniel who posts here, I do hope to hear from anyone who checks out the bundle.

Haha, most FF players didn’t use the forums that much and @roo has been busy with life stuff unfortunately.

If you want more people to check out your mod, I recommend the Steam workshop and the Steam forums as most people use that to check for mods.

Thanks Daniel, and yeah I know… But I’m still reluctant to join both Discord and Steam… And some more people do seem to at least READ posts here, so I guess I hope I can lure them out of lurking eventually :smiley:

1 Like

A kind of general question…
What is the best practice for reusing materials between bundles? Should they get new names even if they use the same textures and settings or can they retain the names (as they do when I just copy them over to the new folder)?

Having the same names makes it a little “risky” when looking for textures to add to the materials as I have to remember to use the texture in the right folder - and then the same when applying a material to an item. But I’m mainly just wanting to know what would be considered best practice so I dont make some stoopid rookie mistake. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: And I should mention I uploaded the first bundle to Nexus Mods a few days ago. It has so far been downloaded a whopping five times, one of which is by a friend who wanted to be supportive but doesn’t actually have the game :crazy_face:

bumps gently
(still would like advice on best practice regarding textures and materials in different bundles)

I don’t think it matters.

As far as I know Unity uses identifiers that are saved in the .meta files to find out which material is supposed to go on each object. When you duplicate the material, Unity gives it a new identifier, so as far as the engine is concerned, they are 2 different materials anyways.

When it comes to models, it’s slightly different. When you load a model via the ModHandler class, it accesses it by name, so here it’s important.

1 Like

I see. And that makes sense. Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really love your work and it make some big change for the game, that is the kind of mods i hope to see more in FF community workshop, keep up the good work ! :slight_smile:

1 Like