Underground power lines

I finished the city build twice, once without the spaceship and once with it. The thing I missed in the later build stage is underground power lines, like the pipes. I hope you are thinking about it. Cheers.

3 Likes

YESSS!!! This is so necessary. How can you have a true futuristic city without burying power cables? It just doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

And piped Carbon would be appreciated :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Electrical conduit PVC’s main purpose is for use in electrical systems as a housing for electrical wires or cables. PVC conduit is often used in underground and wet location applications where electrical cables need to be protected. Each conductor is made of copper or aluminum ; insulated with high-quality, oil-impregnated kraft paper insulation; and covered with metal shielding (usually lead) and skid wires (for protection during construction). Fiberglass conduits are becoming heavily used as underground electrical conduits because they are lightweight, cost effective, and resistant to elements like temperature and moisture. Fiberglass is non-metallic so it will protect from electric shock, and it will never corrode. There are two methods of installing underground distribution systems — duct and direct burial . In a duct system, the cables are pulled through tubes which may or may not be encased in concrete. In the burial system, cables are buried directly in the earth. Low-voltage (no more than 30 volts) wiring must be buried at least 6 inches deep . Buried wiring runs that transition from underground to above ground must be protected in conduit from the required cover depth or 18 inches to its termination point above ground, or at least 8 feet above grade. At 24 inches you can bury underground feeder cable, using PVC conduit to 18 inches below ground only where the wire comes up. The metal of wiring is durable: copper can last for 100 years, and aluminum (not as common now) a bit shorter, around 80 years . This isn’t the final word on wiring endurance, because the protective coating on the wire—if any! —affects wiring longevity as well. Additionally, the current generation of underground systems requires less maintenance, and refurbishment is only required every 40 or 50 years , which is the specified lifespan of a transmission line. Underground cables are better protected against extreme weather and other catastrophic events than overhead lines. Rigid PVC Conduit , also known by the brand name Bore-Gard, is a flexible and strong product like HDPE pipe, but is cut and shipped in shorter, straight sections, rather than being wound on a roll. PVC conduit ordered through reliance freight systems llc tracking is also used in electrical, utilities and telecommunications to protect underground cables and lines.

1 Like

I’d vote for this being a feature too.
Just started playing, and my lovely city looks a mess with holes having to be in it for power cables.

Perhaps something like the transformers should be able to get power cables across ground (like real life) and from there you can go underground to the next one as long as its in the same sphere of coverage, again, similar to real life.

2 Likes

Since carbon is a solid resource at normal temperatures pipes aren’t realistic

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.