How to survive winter?

after 4 trys i still cannot get past the 1st winter. any tips?
Starvation is killing me :smiley:

1 Like

Have food stock in priority. It is difficult to say what you do wrong without more information. I guess you quickly advance the first year and have many colonists to feed. Beware if you have any overeaters. You won’t have nearly enough apples, you need to rely on potatoes and tomatoes. Other food is a big step up. If you can make water well, make it, and equip your farmers with water can. Also you may want 3 farmers. 2 should get you through the first winter though, possibly even 1.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, @Vlambulance!
I second @Malhalla’s advice, especially the tidbit about watering plants. Try to have about 30 food per colonist for winter. Also, you can set it to “small food rations” in the heart panel of each colonist.

I had about 3 colonists, 1 farmer, and about 10tomatos and 10 potatoes farm.
I did try it again after i did make this topic and i did survive, i only died becouse of a sudden tiki attack of 4 goblins haha :smiley: so hard to manage everything xO

1 Like

Yes i did try that and i did survive 1st winter thank you ! :smiley:

1 Like

Is it better to have for example 30 cooked food instead of 30 raw food? or better have it in a mix-mix?

They will always try to eat the best food first. The only thing you need to do is fulfill their expectations for new Migrants to arrive. Glad you’re starting to survive!

I thought at first I wasn’t going to have enough food for my first winter, but strangely I had enough for a portion of the winter. I think I have about 4 colonists that that point. Then the trader showed up, so I bought a whole bunch more; after I traded in my illness med T.T

1 Like

I dove the farming tech early in spring in my first play and aggressively constructed and planted farms. I had about 50-60 potato fields and 30 tomato fields (Due to be expanded once spring starts again), and was able to stockpile ~210 rations for 5 colonists, three of whom I had farming from early summer, so I’m feeling pretty comfortable about my winter. The problem I have now is that my farmer has nothing to do :frowning: I’ve set up a bookshelf, so I’m going to see about training him as a scholar or miner on the side, I suppose.

1 Like

You can farm in the summer and cook it all in the winter, but yeah: A farmer with many skills is definitely more versatile.

1 Like