How to help translating Founders' Fortune 💬

Hello, my name is Julio. I would like to collaborate with the Spanish translation.

There are about 500 million native Spanish speakers in the world, so there are many different Spanish dialects. As a general rule, video games are translated into Spanish from Spain, and Latin Spanish (variant spoken in South America).

The game right now is only translated into Latin Spanish, so for a Spanish speaker from Spain it sounds strange, or artificial.

Could two different translations be created, one for SPANISH, and one for LATIN SPANISH?

I think the same thing happens with Portuguese and Brazilian language.

My GitHub name is: Yllelder

1 Like

Hi Yllelder and welcome :slight_smile:

Really glad if you can help with any localizations into Spanish / Spain. Yes it seems like one or the other gets translated and not both - same as Portuguese / Brazilian.

Not sure if Daniel has replied to you? Though it is the weekend :wink:
If not, drop into the Discord page and just say hello in the International or general section. Any problems, just make another comment here and I will chase it up.

Thanks again
roo :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi Yllelder!

Thanks for wanting to help out. Yes, we can make a separate Spanish version.
Please let me know how many edits you’d expect to be necessary for this.

Are you planning to create new strings for basically every phrase or does it only concern like 2% of text?

It is not necessary to translate all the strings again, since both dialects are practically the same. It is only a matter of changing some verbs and adjectives that in Spain we do not use, or we use in a different way, with the intention of bringing QUALITY to the game. Although with the current translation it is perfectly playable.

Maybe the best way to do this is to duplicate the current translation, and start working from there. One translation for Spanish, and another for Latin Spanish.

Sounds like a good plan for the 2 different dialects :+1:
Hopefully Daniel has emailed you with details for moving ahead with this project :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, so I don’t want to duplicate the Spanish translations. It’s easy to get inconsistencies that way and if we change something we always need to be sure to change both translations.

Instead, I’d like you to use a new language key spanishESP and only translate those phrases that actually have a difference. I’ll program it so that if the user selects “Spanish Spanish”, the game uses spanishESP codes and if there are none, use the other spanish codes.

I will not add this to the game right away though. So when you test it ingame, for you it will show English phrases whereever no extra translation is necessary.

@roo Man I appreciate your dedication, but you make me feel like I’m late replying even though only 8 hours have passed since his post :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, and also you should probably let Pipox on the Discord server know about your work. He’s maintained the Spanish translation so far and has been super reliable. It’d be polite to keep him in the loop.

It seems like a good solution. Although I would need a practical example of how to do it, as I didn’t quite understand where to place the spanishESP code.

I have notified Pipox of this conversation via Discord.

Ok, good.
A typical line in the translation json files looks like this:
"spanish": "esta es una traducción al español"

If it needs to be replaced by a Spanish Spanish version, add an additonal line below:
"spanishESP": "esta es una traducción al español diferente"

Once I update it, the game will choose spanishESP if possible and spanish if not.

I understand.

One recommendation, the language name in the game settings dropdown, should be: Spanish from Spain, not Spanish Spanish (it sounds redundant, and it is not very clear to which dialect it refers exactly).

Thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

Can I start adding the new lines to GitHub now, or should I wait for you to prepare it?

Sure, just start :slight_smile:
I just wanted to let you know it’ll take time until I can work on it.

Hi there.
I just started to play Founders’ Fortune and I like the game. But I also noticed a sad state of Ukrainian translation. Most of the text is still in English and parts that were translated contain some mistakes.
Can I still help with the translation?

Hey mr.jackal!

sure, just read the tutorial to get started.

Awesome!
My GitHub username is kostyurii.

Thanks, just added you.

Hi again!
I’ve been working on the translation for the past few days. Translated names, skills, traits, general UI and in-game UI, and game messages. And fixed some mistakes made by previous translators there.
Also, I have some questions.
First, there’s a message in “names”, saying “please do not change Wilhelm”. Why? :slight_smile:
Second, can I use a gender dictionary in “professions”?

awesome, thanks.

Wilhelm is what we call the little colonists internally. since their look is a little German-Bavarian inspired, we thought it’d be authentic to keep one original name around.

you can only use the gender dictionary structure in that file. but you can use anything you define in gender dictionary anywhere.