Could someone explain how warehousing is implemented in Infraspace?

I’m having a difficult time getting my mind wrapped around a simple concept like warehousing. For context, I play Cities:Skylines extensively and understand how warehousing is implemented there.

So. for a steel or concrete factory, I’ve read where you plop one down near both, and it’ll serve both with unlimited storage/trucks. Is this true? I’ve added one, and more than one, and I’m not sure the value of multiple warehouses…it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, or at least I’m not seeing behavior that I’ve been used to seeing from other games.

Also, what about warehousing of raw goods? Finished products? In C:S, warehousing can be used for buffering of goods, and, delivery of products to market. For example, some factories may have only 4 trucks for delivery. You can place a warehouse near this factory with, say, 20 trucks. The factory will make the short drive to the warehouse, drop off the items, then the warehouse will spawn a truck for final delivery. The factory doesn’t run out of transport, complain of a lack of resources, nor do the customers complain of lack of goods.

You can also use warehousing to place goods in closer proximity to business centers in other districts across the map, especially if your receiving goods from distant factories or from outside the map.

I’ve been unable to find any useful description about proper warehouse use in Infraspace. Having a clear understanding of warehousing can go a long way to managing traffic and factory resources. A good, solid description of how it’s implemented in Infraspace (or a wiki?) would be really appreciated!

Thanks for an awesome game!

Warehousing is very basic and nothing like C:S. The only things stored are construction material and nothing is being delivered from a warehouse to a factory. It’s also basically unlimited storage. Storage of other materials is in the factories and limited to 30 units.

I usually set up a concrete and steel production line specifically for building up construction resources and place a warehouse nearby. This way I build up a nice stockpile of construction material. I also use the districts tool to make sure they only deliver to the warehouse, as steel is also a resource for other products.

We are all hoping for some proper warehousing in the near future, but there’s no info on a timeline that I know of.

1 Like

Hi Tjitso…thanks for your reply. It sounds like having more than one warehouse isn’t useful, but perhaps having them in strategic areas of the map will address traffic congestion?

Like I said, place them close to your steel and concrete production.

I agree with everything posted here so far, but I have a little different take on building out concrete and steel factory’s.

It has been my observation that the warehouse takes 1 sec or less to process an incoming resource. It doesn’t matter if it is concrete or steel, the same 1 sec processing time is consumed for each delivery. Concrete is the fastest and cheapest to make, Steel is the slowest and most expensive to make. For this reason I keep the roads for concrete and steel production separate, and as warehouses are fairly cheap a warehouse for each. This way I can avoid traffic jams at the warehouse. I have had no success with districts and linking them to one of two warehouses, so I don’t connect the roads. A simple solution for me.

I start with one concrete factory, build out the housing and their needs, then go back and build 2 more concrete factories with mines to support. At this point I should have one concrete warehouse maxing out on deliveries. Then I start on the steel production until I start to max out the steel warehouse. Off the top of my head I don’t remember the number of atmo and steel factories to make.

The warehouses are cheap to make. Separating the two production lines prevents backups at the warehouses and maxes out the construction mats I’m getting early in the game. With a little time it will start to add up, and then you can go building crazy. Just think of all the roads, highways, single lane and multi lanes, one-way roads and highways, regular intersection, I intersections, clover-leaf intersections, traffic circles, not to mention bridges that you can build - its AWESOME!!!

Hope this helps.

1 Like

This is absolutely the way. Like The Offspring said: You gotta keep em seperated

I set mine up like this. Steel production is the same concept except it does need an outlet for deliveries to other industries.

Utilize right hand turns from factories to warehouses, the districts just really help enforce the traffic flow.

Deliveries to the factories come in from the top of the images.

First of all, F12 makes a screenshot in game.

Second, I’m not sure what you would like to know. Is something not working?

The conversation was about warehouses and traffic jams. You provided your response, I provided mine.

F12 is great on a PC, not so useful when browsing the forums on a mobile device.

I apologize for being an idiot. I didn’t realize this was continuing an already excisting thread. It was late and I was tired.

Oh noo, although it looks pretty neat, it’s waste of space and a lot of work to do riots1337. You can just direct traffic flow to a strech of road and put multiple storages on the sides. Devs patched previous behavior, that all traffic was going only to the nearest one. I have over 1k concrete production and 10 warehouses with no traffic jams.